Monday, November 12, 2012

Men who consistently leave the toilet seat up secretly want women to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and fall in. -Rita Rudner

My biggest pet peeve is a dirty bathroom! My poor husband hears my complaints daily. (You'd think after two years of being together he would have figured out that a clean bathroom makes a happy wife...) I mean, how hard is it to close the lid!? Did you know that toilet water can splash up to 10 inches around the toilet? I hope your toothbrush is covered or far, far away from that. With that in mind, I've compiled a list of ways you can keep it clean while being green.

My favorite non-abrasive cleaners are Borax (known mostly for its superb laundry cleaning ability), Bon Ami and baking soda. From toilets to sinks to tubs, these fantastic chemical-free cleaners can shine your porcelain, painted tubs, and fixtures without tainting any water. Just pour on and scrub!

For mildew, I love Dawn soap, white vinegar, and water. I usually mix in a 1:3 ratio. Just spray on, leave it for about 5 minutes, and wipe away with a cloth or scrub those hard to clean corners. Remember to rinse as the Dawn can cause you to slip-n-slide. This mixture is also amazing on glass shower doors and walls.

Have a clogged drain? Do you know what is in the store bought products would you drink it? Didn't think so. To help keep our drinking water clean, try using baking soda with white vinegar. Remember the volcano you made in grade school? That's what you'll be doing! Pour the baking soda down the drain, use as much as you need. Add the vinegar and watch your tub or sink erupt! After all the excitement settles, run the hottest water possible for a few minutes until you feel that the drain is unclogged. You may need to repeat this process if the drain is especially clogged. You can also try using a snake to unclog.

On counters, cabinets, and the outer toilet, white vinegar and water in a 1:2 ratio. Not a fan of the smell of vinegar? That's okay! Method, Caldrea, Mrs. Myers all make all-purpose cleaners. Unless it says it disinfects, you'll need to add a touch of vinegar.

For mirrors, I swear by Dawn and water. I fill up an empty spray bottle with water and add just a few drops of Dawn. Spray on and shine off.

Finally, lets talk about floors. I know you love your swifter wet jet, but do you realize the health problems it can cause your pets? They walk on those floors, probably have food bowls on those floors, and sleep on them. Not just pets, but children and adults alike. I started noticing that when I used it, my cat would ALWAYS get sick after eating. I finally researched the wet jet product and found that many other users were experiencing the same problem. So I switched to Murphy's oil soap and Methods wood soap. Both of these products can be used on various floor types, just remember to add a touch of vinegar to disinfect.

I hope this has answered any questions you had about the products I use or how you can green clean a bathroom yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment